For the third year in a row, here's my Tim Ferriss-inspired past year review! You can also read my reviews for 2017 (which explains what this exercise is and why I do it) and 2018.
You may notice that this review is significantly more verbose than the last two years. I started a habit of daily journaling at the beginning of 2019, which gave me significantly more information to look back on when compiling this review.
https://i.imgur.com/BjCuIzo.jpg Skiing at Sipapu https://i.imgur.com/UmWzBQq.jpg Cauliflower pizza https://i.imgur.com/FRwWlWb.jpg Christian at the Dentist
- started a journaling habit
- teaching DR to ski at Sipapu
- finding out DR got into law school!
- finished Atomic Habits, which felt like an instruction manual for my brain
- cut out a toxic relationship
- watching Vice (Christian Bale's performance was amazing)
- watched Kora season 3 and Marie Kondo's new netflix show with DR
- consistently worked on 5x5
- knocked out most of the Patagonia shopping in a day
- optimized habits and routines, like working out and meditating in the morning
- visited the dentist for the first time in about a decade
- CAULIFLOWER PIZZA CRUST
- started working towards healthy sleeping habits
- played DnD with my sibs
- turned 10,000 days old!
- initiated a weekly routine of batching admin work on Friday
- learned about the importance of vitamin D from sunlight
- felt like I burned a lot of time shopping for Patagonia hiking gear evaluating the perfect options
- struggled with a consistent sleep schedule and sleep onset insomnia. Consistently woke up groggy.
- high $6k balance on my credit card from Patagonia shopping
- feeling super tired after assembling cheap furniture and not knowing why
- having to bike across town to get tax paperwork
https://i.imgur.com/NI3uqCH.jpg H-Mart lunch https://i.imgur.com/nN9khrm.jpg Urban Hammocking https://i.imgur.com/34Y7XfR.jpg First version of my life calendar https://i.imgur.com/d4CRHFE.jpg Homemade pizza https://i.imgur.com/cwp5Tmy.jpg Homemade pot stickers https://i.imgur.com/grUJRem.jpg Fancy Valentines Day Dinner https://i.imgur.com/xUwObRY.jpg Chilean seafood soup https://i.imgur.com/z85pGU9.jpg El Chaltén https://i.imgur.com/T4vcwap.jpg Freakin delicious Roquefort empanadas https://i.imgur.com/z9Pmku6.jpg A waterfall from the top https://i.imgur.com/zgIWydq.jpg Hike up to the Fitz Roy mountain range https://i.imgur.com/uTIIaSh.jpg Me and the Fitz Roy mountain range :D https://i.imgur.com/9GDeV8r.jpg Super artsy photo of the Fitz Roy mountain range https://i.imgur.com/TaWLpT1.jpg The Fitz Roy mountain range with a cool wooden bridge walking path https://i.imgur.com/9kNiDCl.jpg Fitz Roy with one of its glacial lakes
- Trivia at Halcyon with friends
- Dominion with Trigg, even though he was super bad at it
- Putting together my TinySeed application
- Got prescription sunglasses!
- Consistently got 500 IUs of vitamin D from sunlight
- Re-playing the paperclip game
- Tearing apart/rewriting Falsettos with DR
- Fancy Valentines Day dinner at Public School
- Wild broadening experience at an establishment I wouldn't usually visit
- Met Trigg's parents!
- Personal Record on squat and deadlift!
- Bike/unicycle ride with Trigg
- Bohemian Rhapsody on the plane to Chile
- PATAGONIA TRIP!!! Punto Arenas, El Chaltén (where the Fitz Roy mountain range)
- trouble sleeping (stayed up manic until 4am)
- DR's interactions with Michael
- Falsettos was pretty bad
- Dealing with NG regarding the UTMA account
https://i.imgur.com/yUHTXPf.jpg Glaciar Perito Moreno https://i.imgur.com/DybTgkl.jpg Accomplishing my life goal of eating a glacier https://i.imgur.com/NxdbwNd.jpg Me glacier trekking https://i.imgur.com/44Ro7KX.jpg More glacier trekking https://i.imgur.com/8w3DsGo.jpg Congur Eel https://i.imgur.com/PljZbUA.jpg Megatherium giant ground sloth statue https://i.imgur.com/UsR00Zv.jpg Appetizer at Lenga https://i.imgur.com/gEDfIMs.jpg Scallop appetizer at Lenga - Seafood pil pil https://i.imgur.com/ekmdbDj.jpg Mole meat dish at Lenga https://i.imgur.com/xxuqyvb.jpg Start of our hike on the W trail https://i.imgur.com/bkj1Hew.jpg Taking a break on the hike https://i.imgur.com/qiXBNan.jpg Homemade keto-ish soylent trail breakfast https://i.imgur.com/JmrdXfm.jpg Hiked to a glacier https://i.imgur.com/66xgcsP.jpg Crazy long and high bridge on the way back from the glacier https://i.imgur.com/rrpMjEH.jpg Christian happy hiking https://i.imgur.com/5wVn4BM.jpg Most of my hiking packed, unpacked https://i.imgur.com/OtZKVGL.jpg The only campsite where I couldn't hammock camp https://i.imgur.com/Krm4Sit.jpg Taking a break to show off my drone https://i.imgur.com/ttqRyLn.jpg One of my favorite pictures from Patagonia, taken on the beach https://i.imgur.com/obndQqD.jpg Patagonia is kinda unreal in how picturesque it is https://i.imgur.com/Z1Nfz2S.jpg Visiting Georgetown Law https://i.imgur.com/Dh2Il7a.jpg I met Jason Fried! https://i.imgur.com/ap01XPN.jpg Climbing with my business friend Stefan https://i.imgur.com/jfFpsNC.jpg Camping in the desert was pretty rad https://i.imgur.com/MmcjxIn.jpg Sick and stylish bouldering in Red Rock Canyon
- PATAGONIA: Glaciar Perito Moreno, tasted the Perito Moreno Glacier, hiked up to the Fitz Roy mountain range, hiked 6 days through the W trail
- super good dinner at Lenga in Puerto Natales
- tried Mawün rainwater for $5,000 chilean pesos
- Visited Georgetown Law with DR
- Captain Marvel
- invited to give a roundtable discussion at Microconf!
- Started using Anki to remember people's names and faces
- Discovered Stardew Valley
- Re-discovered running to music
- Re-branded dbinbox.com to Fileinbox
- "No Internet Sunday" experiment went really well
- The dude that did my lead belay test at Summit said I was the best lead belayer he'd ever seen :D
- MICROCONF: dinner with Josh Kaufman, Patrick McKenzie, Einar Volte, David Rodenbach; RAISED MY PRICES by 12x; Calico hiking; lots of networking
- Ordering a humidifier to my hotel in Vegas was a big success
- Climbing in Red Rock, especially with Stefan
- Camping in the desert with stuff I ordered off Amazon. How resourceful!
- Pooped in a bag and peed off a cliff
- Ordering Zora freeze dried meals worked really well
- Discovered I'm much happier when I've spent time in the sun
- Leaky rain jacket
- Bleach flood in our AirBnB stained a pair of my underwear
- DR got kidney stones
- Ripped my Cedarwood State blue linen shorts that I got in England
- Got sick camping outside in Vegas
- Maintaining relationship attention to support a depressed partner on an exciting trip is difficult
https://i.imgur.com/BlkpxuC.jpg My go-to meal in April: a homemade Chipotle burrito bowl https://i.imgur.com/L8cLq7F.jpg Hanging out with the sibs https://i.imgur.com/zjf5qOW.jpg Ithica is gorgeous https://i.imgur.com/GHLMox4.jpg https://i.imgur.com/Lj6EkFt.jpg Graduation pictures https://i.imgur.com/l70Ij5Y.jpg Behind-the-scenes of taking sick graduation shots https://i.imgur.com/0H4CJ4W.jpg Fancy dinner at Bullion https://i.imgur.com/kCyG2xe.jpg HAMILTON WAS AMAZING
- great productive habits like getting the most important work done early in the day, getting sunlight, running (even in the rain!), work/life balance, and making chipotle burrito bowls as my default meal
- bought Utah Shakespeare Festival tickets, Hamilton tickets, and Eddie Izzard tickets
- experimented with Audience Ops (good job taking big boy risks)
- helped DR through her spooky test results
- Yoga and brunch at HG Suply Co (though I wouldn't do it again)
- Bought nicer shirts at Northpark Mall to look like more of an adult by not wearing graphic T-shirts
- Productive relationship-improving talk to Genco-ify my and DR's relationship to be more thoughtful in my interactions with her (as a response to how mechanistic she felt I acted on Valentines Day by not planning anything myself)
- prioritizing time in the sun every day
- consistent work on Fileinbox Google Drive integration
- first signups on my $249/month plan!!!
- Somebody recapped my Microconf roundtable discussion on productivity 😍😍😍
- fun trip to Ithica with DR to tour Cornell
- hanging out with Ricky, especially semi-impromptu, especially hiking
- Shirtless running
- Founder interview for Fileinbox.com (am I a real founder now?)
- instagram posting experiments
- got all my things done on April 24th! Good job :D
- started noticing more subtle swings in emotion
- FANCY DUCK DINNER AT BULLION
- HAMILTON in the SECOND ROW!!! Nik Walker was AMAZING
- Avengers Endgame. PHEW what an epic ride. I'm getting much better at emotionally connecting with films.
- Pitchford Party and Nerdvana with DR!
- finding out my backlinks for Fileinbox made for some great domain ratings
- finding out DR got a GIGANTIC scholarship from Georgetown 😍 (and celebrating at Hopdoddy's with truffle aoli)
- running around to get packages and letters, especially at the last minute
- lawsuit interactions
- going to BC's house as an emotional buffer. Stop Caretaking!
- poor sleep quality while traveling and whenever changing beds
- burned time playing Stardew Valley
- short sprint of bachelor life felt isolating
- Dallas allergies :(
TODO: May 21st TODO: start looking at Relationship Minutes!
https://i.imgur.com/JfOXpio.jpg Sick high score at the Ren Faire Labyrinth https://i.imgur.com/Ympnj05.jpg Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bungee trampoline rides https://i.imgur.com/bkdRsZ1.jpg Lunch with Gavin https://i.imgur.com/Sk3phuC.jpg I'm very proud of this batman keychain https://i.imgur.com/UrOdMKZ.jpg Sick pic of some mushrooms I took on the SMU campus https://i.imgur.com/cTnyjwQ.jpg DR and my relationship in a nutshell https://i.imgur.com/ULu82SY.jpg Literal crack https://i.imgur.com/QXIHEuv.jpg Hanging out with Sophia and Patrik
made a life timeline chrome extension
getting brought on as a tech advisor!
several great business chats with jzacks, Parker, Marie, Geoff, Stefan, Peter Bhat Harkins, Ben
discovering that wearing surgical masks outside help my allergies
getting the high score at the Renaissance Festival labyrinth
trampoline bungee jumping at the Renaissance Festivald
hanging out with Gavin, especially playing with automated ordering machines
made a sick batman keychain
launched Pixel Art Creator
started looking at my sales funnel
A+ party organizing of Boba event
seeing Randy Pitchford's Kingsmen closet
fancy dinner in the Dallas reunion tower, especially the tasty brussels sprouts
launched Finance Tracker and practiced better onboarding
chatting with DR and Justin about Game of Thrones
recorded 3 Hat Productivity on the OK Productive Podcast, which I'm SUPER proud of
bringing snacks for DR's graduation
hanging out in a private box at Roughrider Stadium, especially the amazing food
chatting with Trigg through stressful times
cleaning the fruit flies out of Trigg's fridge
pulling off an amazing graduation gift of Mustang Bread
discovering Keto cups
hanging out with Sophia and Patrik?
- feeling my stomach distended after eating Ramen
- allergies, especially while running :(
- working too late. Finish work earlier!
- caretaking DR when she got a B+ for her compelling narrative story
- feeling manic and not sleeping well
- eating Pizza hut chicken wings because I was hungry and they were there
- feeling too tired to go to make the decisions necessary to go to bed
- feeling stilted and low status at Reunion Tower dinner
- emotional resistance to getting Groove emails done
- stress of moving and helping Trigg pack
- feeling stilted at graduation and graduation party, especially when dealing with BC's power plays
Review from Takeaways for 2019 #
What 20% of each column produced the most reliable or powerful peaks?
Takeaways for 2020 #
In 2020, I want to be doing more:
Christian Genco of 2020 is a person who: